Friday 21 September 2012

When It Rains.

These last two weeks has been a busy time for me. Gaming wise and in the real world too.
I've managed to get in two games of Dystopian Wars land battles, five games of my new hotness Zombicide and my DnD group also ran the lair-assault spiderkiller.  I have really enjoyed them all. The Dystopian Wars games have really invigorated my love of table war-games. I got into DW as a filler game before getting back into 40K, so I didn't just go and drop a load of cash on a 40K army and proceed to never paint it. So far it seems to be working, but I am salivating over the new 40K book and its new rules, so far I like what I have seen.
Britannia surges forward 

Giant Tiberium crystals
Terrain formed a choke point and the center
of the map became a slaughter house



Armored goliaths clash




















Zombicide a simple game of zombie survival, full of pop-culture references and lovable tropes. I have managed five games so far and they have all been fun. When I have a few more games under my belt I will post some of my thoughts. 

My character Phil is dragged out of his police car and devoured
  after he had managed  to run over more than 30 zombies


The lair assault was a blast with only one PC killed we managed to kill the evil Drow priestess before she opened the portal to the demon web.
Notable moments include

  •  a paladin falling backwards over a underground waterfall as he unleashed a spell that killed two Drow and the giant spider that had dragged him into the waterfall
  • the fighter being cursed with slowness and crawling towards the fight arriving just in time to land the final blow on the BB
  • the great-bow armed woodelf ranger going blind, but still managing to sneak undetected into the hidden temple and knock the Drow priestess backwards with a powerful bow-shot, interrupting her ritual  
  • the DM allowing the boat that contained a pair of dying and immobilised players to make a saving throw to catch on the rocks as it slid over the edge of the water fall, it caught and the ranger made her saving death roll, untangled herself healed the fighter just in time for them to jump clear of the boat as it slid off the rocks and plummeted into the depths. This kind act prevented a TPK it was not really in the spirit of the lair assaults but was a tone of fun. 
I notice that WotC have released another lair assault. This time the party all play as Drow, a race that is renown for its treachery. I hope they include some screw your neighbours mechanics in this encounter.

Other stuff

As well as gaming I have also managed to indulge my love of miniature painting. It's a pity my talent just doesn't match my enthusiasm. I will just have to keep painting until I develop my mad skilz.
I managed to paint a few more of my HeroQuest miniatures. The Goblin with his hand forged sword, four bad ass looking chaos warriors and the evil chaos wizard.
All that is standing between me and my childhood dream of a painted HeroQuest set are four heroes and a gargoyle. I plan to give the heroes the best paint job I can manage and I will try to document the process.

Chaos minions, assemble!
I will blog the process of painting these











My shipment of custom laser cut goodies from Mechanical Warhorse arrived. Some clear bases for Arkham Horror Mansions of Madness for a friend, two sets of DW turning templates, DW firing ark templates and a bunch of sample damage tokens for Dystopian Wars. I will provide some more pictures of this stuff after I have a chance to a play a game with them.

I think my design is better than the Spartan ones


Last but no means least I have slowly been transferring my random scribbles and ideas into Google Docs drive and out of this mess of random thoughts a Rogue Trader campaign forms. I will never take the work my DM dose for granted ever again. Trying to balance encounters and concoct scenarios that provide thoughtful and interesting role-play opportunities is damn hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment